The Beall family of Davidson County lived in Beallmont near Linwood, North Carolina. The Beallmont property was originally owned by Robert Moore, who immigrated to Pennsylvania and married Martha Cunningham of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Dr. Burgess Lamar Beall married Moore's granddaughter Eleanor "Ellen" Moore, and they built Beallmont near the Moore home.
Dr. Burgess Beall was a physician. He was descended from Ninian Beall of Scotland. Genealogies contradict each other and list his parents either as James Lamar Beall or Zachariah and Rebecca Beall. He studied medicine under Ellen Moore's uncle, Robert Moore, Jr. In 1830, he married Ellen (1807-1844), the daughter of Ebenezer Moore (1779-1843) and Margaret Jones (1788-1844). He had a medical practice, ran the Beallmont property, and served as Representative for Davidson County from 1838 to 1840. He died in 1852. He had four children by his first wife: Robert Lamar (1831-1891), Mary Elizabeth (1833-1899), Thomas Burgess (1835-1909), James Franklin (1837-1907), and Margaret Ellen (1840-1941). His second wife was named Elizabeth.
Robert Lamar Beall was the oldest son of Burgess and Ellen Beall. His early education was at an academy in Bethany Church. From 1849 to 1852, he attended Davidson College but withdrew after the death of his father to care for the family. On November 3, 1858, he married Mary Elizabeth "Mollie," daughter of James and Caroline Ellen Finley Harper. Mary Harper (1840-1916) graduated from Edgeworth Academy in 1857. She and Robert Beall began their married life in Davidson County, North Carolina. Their children included Lelia (1860-1863), Carrie (1862-1862), Mary Jones "M.J." (Mrs. Columbus M. Weathers), James "Harper" Beall (b. 1868), Annie (b. 1872), Bessie Cornelia (Mrs. Edward F. Reid and Annie's twin), and Roberta "Berta" Lamar (Mrs. Rufus Lenior Gwyn, b. 1878).
Robert worked as the physician of the Silver Hill Mining Company. In 1867, he moved his family to Lenoir to live with Mollie's father at Fairfield. Robert was a representative in 1862 for Davidson County. He also worked on the Caldwell County section of the 1885 North Carolina Exposition.
Mary Elizabeth "Mollie" Beall was the eldest daughter of Burgess and Ellen Beall. In the mid-1840s, she attended Salem Academy of Salem, North Carolina, and later studied at an academy in Lexington. In 1854, she married her first cousin Ira Fitzgerald, who studied medicine under her father, against her father's wishes. Fitzgerald died one year later. Her other husbands were Robert Crump and James Samuel McCubbins.
James "Jim" Beall was the fourth Beall child. In 1854, he attended Bingham's Male Academy of Orange County, North Carolina. James organized the 21st N.C. Regiment, Company A of the North Carolina Confederate Army and was promoted to major. After the war, he studied medicine. On December 29, 1869, he married Margaret Cornelia "Neely" Harper, sister of Mary Harper Beall. He and Neely Beall lived at Beallmont. Their children included Franklin Harper (1870-1926), Caroline Moore (1878-1963), and James Lamar (1887-1965). After Robert's relocation to Lenoir, James worked as the physician of the Silver Hill Mining Company.
Mary C. Jones (1797-1858) was the daughter of Isaac and Eleanor Gaither Jones and Ellen Moore Beall's unmarried aunt. She resided with Burgess Beall and regularly visited and corresponded with family members, such as Walter Jones and Frances Jones.
James Harper (1799-1879) was the son of John and Elizabeth Witherow Harper of Scotch descent. His siblings were John, David, Samuel, William, Margaret, and William. In approximately 1827, he left Adams County, Pennsylvania for North Carolina to improve his health. He and William P. Waugh started a store at Fort Grider, which later became the Bernhardt-Seagle Company, the oldest hardware store in western North Carolina. With Waugh, he established a chain of stores in western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee.
In 1833, James married Caroline Ellen Finley, daughter of Samuel and Mary Tate Finley of Augusta County, Virginia. Fairfield in Lenoir, North Carolina was their homestead. Mary's father's siblings, John Finley and Mary Patterson, and her maternal uncle, William Waugh, lived in nearby Wilkes County, North Carolina. Their children included George Washington Finley Harper (1834-1921), Mary Elizabeth "Mollie" Harper Beall (1840-1916), John Waugh (1838-1841), Samuel Finley Harper (1843-1929), and Margaret Cornelia "Neely" Harper Beall (1847-1926).
Civic-minded, Harper donated 30 acres of land, including the public square, to the town of Lenoir. He was also active in politics. He founded Davenport College and Finley High School, of Lenoir. He was Lenoir Presbyterian Church's first elder and clerk from 1852 to 1879. Colonel James Harper appears to have been the purchase agent for Waugh-Harper Co.
Mary Elizabeth "Mollie" Harper Beall attended Edgeworth Female Seminary in Greensboro, North Carolina. After her marriage to Robert Beall, she maintained a correspondence with her cousins, younger sister Neely, and school friends. She experienced the loss of two young children.
Colonel William P. Waugh (1775-1852) was a native of Adams County, Pennsylvania. In 1803, he migrated to Wilkesboro, North Carolina with his brothers John, James, Andrew, and David. His nephew, Major John Finley, and niece, Mary Finley Patterson (wife of Samuel Patterson), also relocated to Wilkesboro. Carolina Finley Harper was the granddaughter of Waugh's sister, Mary Waugh Finley, and the niece of John Finley and Mary Finley Patterson. Originally the co-owner of a chain of mercantile stores with John Finley, Waugh also owned the mercantile business "Waugh and Harper" with James Harper. He lived in Moravian Falls of Wilkes County. In addition to his business, Waugh owned a tavern and served as a justice. Although he never married, the Waugh family of Wilkes County believe that their ancestor Henderson Waugh, a free man of color, was his son.