1919-1920: North Carolina General Assembly suggests Appalachian Training School abandon high school education in preference for training elementary school teachers, due to a teacher shortage following World War I.
1921: Boarding costs rise to $36.00 per term. Board for nine months is $100.00.
1921: School will do laundry for women for a fee of $2.40 per term, washing only. Ironing and pressing tables are available for women to use. School laundry does not provide service for men.
1921: For the first time, health certificates are required at time of registration, certifying and stating that the applicant is not sick with a contagious disease and has not been exposed to any such disease within twenty days.
1921: Students strike in March protesting the change in academic schedule putting academic work in the mornings and professional work in the afternoons. They surrender after four days.
1922: First student yearbook, the Rhododendron, is published.
1922-23: Student enrollment reaches 770; 48 students graduate.
1923: North Carolina State Board of Education appropriates $125,000 for the construction of a new Administration Building on western side of campus; $300,000 appropriated for a hydro-electric plant on Middle Fork and a physical education building.
1923: The New River Light and Power plant burns down on March 23, causing a blackout on campus and in Boone, NC, that lasts for seventeen months. Electricity was restored in the fall of 1924, when the new hydroelectric plant was finished.
1924: 1097 students enrolled in Appalachian Training School. The road between Wilkesboro and Boone is paved to facilitate automobile travel through area.
1925: Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA) chapter formed on campus.
1925: Appalachian Training School receives approval to offer two year college courses, name is changed to Appalachian State Normal School. School does not offer degrees above diploma; high school department is to be phased out entirely. ASNS opens on Oct 5 with 350 enrolled students.
1925: Boone Grade School is constructed as a Demonstration School, where Appalachian students in their final year do practice teaching with elementary school students from Watauga County. The school had previously been taught in the Science Hall.
1925: Profits from New River Light and Power set aside to be used as a loan fund for students.
1925: Dr. H. B. Perry occupies Lovill Home Annex as a hospital for students needing care.
1926: Appalachian State Normal School becomes part of the American Association of Teachers’ Colleges and Normal Schools.
1927: Duck pond established.
1928: Old Bob, B. B. Dougherty’s horse, dies and is buried on Appalachian State campus.
1928-29: Football team begins intercollegiate sports competition.
1929: Co-founder and Business Manager Dauphin Disco Dougherty dies on June 10. Lillie Shull Dougherty becomes business manager.
1929: Appalachian State Normal School is approved for full four-year programs with bachelor degrees. Name is changed to Appalachian State Teachers College with Blanford Barnard Dougherty as president.